CHAPTER 2 – DEFINITIONS AND RULES OF CONSTRUCTION ( pdf version )Section 2.01 Definitions
The following definitions shall be observed, unless it shall be otherwise expressly provided, or unless the definition should be inconsistent with the manifest intent of the provision, or unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
1) Code. The words ‘The Town Code' or ‘Code,' unless it shall be otherwise expressly provided, shall mean the Town Code of the Town of Hull, Portage County, Wisconsin as hereby adopted.
2) Board. The word ‘Board' or the words ‘Town board' shall mean the Town board of the Town of Hull, Portage County, Wisconsin.
3) County. The word ‘County' shall mean Portage County, Wisconsin.
4) Occupant. The word ‘occupant' shall mean any person who occupies the whole or any part of a building or land, either alone or with others.
5) Or, And. The word ‘or' may be read ‘and' and the word ‘and' may be read ‘or' as the sense requires.
6) Owner. The word ‘owner' shall include any sole owner, part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, joint tenant, or tenant by the entirety.
7) Person. The word ‘person' shall include a corporation, firm, partnership, association, organization and any other group acting as a unit as well as individuals. It shall also include an executor, administrator, trustee, receiver or other representative appointed according to law. Whenever a violation of any section of the Town Code is punishable by a penalty or fine, and whenever the word ‘person' is used in the section for which a penalty is imposed for the violation, ‘person' shall include partners or members of partnerships or associations, and as to corporations, shall include the officers, agents or members thereof who are responsible for any violation of the section.
8) Property. The work ‘property' shall include tangible or intangible, real, personal or mixed property.
9) Public Way. The words ‘public way' shall include any street, road, alley, boulevard, parkway, highway, sidewalk or other public thoroughfare.
10) Sidewalk. The word ‘sidewalk' shall mean that portion of the street or road between the curb line or road's edge and the adjacent property line intended for the use of pedestrians.
11) State. The word ‘State' shall mean the State of Wisconsin.
12) Street. The word ‘street' shall include any public way, highway, street, road, avenue, boulevard, parkway, alley or other public thoroughfare. Each of these words shall include the others, and if the context permits, shall also include ‘sidewalks.'
13) Tenant. The word ‘tenant' shall mean any person who occupies the whole or any part of a building or land, alone or with others.
14) Town. The work ‘Town' shall mean the Town of Hull, Portage County, Wisconsin.Section 2.02 Catch Lines Are Not Titles or Parts of Sections
The catch lines of the several sections of the Town Code are intended as mere catchwords to indicate the approximate contents of the section and shall not be deemed or taken to be titles of the section nor as any part of the section, nor unless expressly so provided, shall they be so determined when any of the sections, including the catch lines are amended or reenacted.Section 2.03 Sever Ability of Parts of the Town Code
It is hereby declared to be the intention of the Board that the sections, subsections, paragraphs, sentences, clauses, phrases and portions of the Town Code are sever able, and if any portion, phrase, clause, sentence, paragraph, subsection or section of the Code shall be declared unconstitutional by the valid judgment or decree of any court of competent jurisdiction, the unconstitutionality shall not affect any of the remaining portions, phrases, clauses, sentences, paragraphs, subsections or sections of the Code, since the same would have been enacted by the Board without the incorporation in the Code of any such unconstitutional portions, phrases, clauses, sentences, paragraphs, subsections or sections.